Handmade Baby Goodies!

3.21.2011

A very special friend of mine is due to have a baby girl any day now.  I just had to make some goodies for the little beauty that's about to be born - baby things are so fun to make!  I crocheted a baby beanie and a few washcloths, and I also sewed up a receiving blanket (that wasn't in my original plans, but when I saw the bright, beautiful fabric at Happy Quilt, I just couldn't resist!).



Materials
  • 2 yards of flannel material.  I used 1 yard of print, and 1 yard of solid white.  You can use whatever you want.
  • Coordinating thread.
Prep
  • Wash and dry the fabric.  Iron if necessary.
  • Place one piece of flannel right side up, and lay the second piece of flannel on top of the first, right side down.
  • Pin the layers together, every inch or so, the whole way around.  
Sewing
  • Being sewing in the middle of one side.  Do not start at a corner.  Using a straight stitch and a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew all the way around the blanket, but leave about a 6-inch hole in the side where you started, or big enough to put your hand through.
  • Turn the blanket right side out.  Use your fingers to poke the corners into points.  Smooth out blanket edges so they're smooth, or press them flat with an iron.
  • Pin the 6-inch hole together so the edges stay tucked inside while you finish the blanket.
  • Then, sew around the edge of the blanket a second time.  Do not start on the side where you have the hole pinned shut.  Start anywhere else except there.
  • Use a very small seam allowance when sewing the second time.  1/8-inch, if possible.  Sew the whole way around the blanket, and back stitch a the beginning and end.
That's it.  Your blanket is finished!!  Fairly easy and basic, right?  It should be about 36 inches by 45 inches.

And here are the few other goodies I made for her.  A few washcloths, and an adorable beanie.  I just love that flower on there!




























I had so much fun making all of these things... I hope she enjoys them!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow it's all super cute! I love love love the beanie, seriously WAY too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!