Coconut-Lime Sugar Scrub {diy}

8.08.2013

I love sugar scrubs.  And I love coconut oil.  When I first saw this, I knew I had to make it.  There's just something about the smell of lime and coconut that is tropical and summery... makes you feel like you should be sitting on a beach somewhere.. with a pina colada or mojito in hand.  Beach or not, I kind of wish I had a mojito right now, as I sit here on the couch binge watching Gossip Girl (don't judge).  And don't even get me started with coconut oil.  There are so many uses for it.  This is just one of them.

*Disclaimer:  If you buy coconut oil, please buy it unrefined.  Or better yet.. buy virgin cold-pressed coconut oil.  It's better for you.  I didn't realize I bought the wrong one until it was open and on my counter, so I won't be using this for cooking.  I guess that's what happens when you have a distracting toddler with you on your shopping trips;)


I love how silky and soft my skin feels after I use this.  I didn't even need to use lotion after I got out of the shower (though I might need to in the winter).  Your skin will just soak up the coconut oil, but won't leave it feeling greasy.  I prefer to use regular granulated sugar... it's coarse enough for me, and I have sensitive skin.  But if you like the grains to be bigger, then you can sub it out for turbinado sugar. 

Also... this would make a great gift!  Birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas... just because.  :) 




Coconut-Lime Sugar Scrub
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • zest of one lime
  • 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • lime and/or coconut flavoring/essentials oils (optional)
Place all the ingredients in a bowl.  You may or may not have to warm up the coconut oil in the microwave for a few depending on the temperature.  It's so hot out right now that mine is pretty soft, but in the winter it might need to get warmed up.  Stir to combine.  Feel free to add lime or coconut essential oils to give the scent some more oomph if you so wish.  :)  And play around with the oil/sugar ratios if you need to, until you get your desired consistency.  It's not a science... just throw the stuff together until it works for you.

Store at room temp for several weeks (I just keep it in my shower).  Exfoliate, moisturize... enjoy!



8 comments:

  1. I bet this sugar scrub smells so wonderful!! I need to try this recipe.

    Blessings, Diane Roark

    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sugar scrubs. This is perfect for me right now as I have a jar of coconut oil I need to get rid of before it expires. Thanks for the recipe. I would LOVE for you to share this at "That's My Style" Link Party going on TODAY on my blog. Not comfortable sharing? Stop by anyway for beauty related post and fun DIY projects. I hope to see you there! :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try and make this some day :) I love sugar scrubs and even though Im not the biggest coconut fan I think I would love this quite a lot :)
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this at "That's My Style" Link Party!!! You made my day. I do hope you'll join in again. I can't wait to see what you have to share next week. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this and it smells so delicious in the jar and I smell a bit like a margarita after I use it! You mentioned pina colada (yum) and now I want to smell like that lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. have u ever used cilantro? i have a friend who loves both lime and cilantro. I'm new to this and wondered if you could add cilantro to this mixture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried that, but it sounds interesting!

      Delete
  7. how long will this stay fresh???

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!