Homemade Pupusas #PANFan

6.13.2015

I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal.  I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.  #PANFan


I love having fun in the kitchen trying out recipes I've never made before.  I don't get too much time to do that anymore, having a 3 month old that's fussy time is between 5pm and 6pm... however, I'll jump at the chance when I can!  So when I received P.A.N. Cornmeal to use, I had to sit down and brainstorm what I wanted to create with this!  This time I decided to make homemade Pupusas - it's a pretty simple process, and I hope this post inspires you to get in the kitchen and create something new for your family!


P.A.N. Cornmeal is the numero uno cornmeal in South America - and for good reason!  It has such good flavor and is easy to work with.  It's been around for a long time, but is just recently making it's way into kitchens in the USA.  Cornmeal is a staple in many countries, though, because of it's rich nutrients and versatility.  It's definitely become a staple in my home.


Pupusas are fairly simple to make.  They're a traditional Salvadoran dish - a thick corn tortilla stuffed with either refried beans, cheese, or seasoned pork that's been ground into a paste consistency.  I chose cheese, because who doesn't love things that are stuffed with cheese?  And you top them off with lots of yummy things... salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, more cheese (of course), and you can even put some shredded chicken on top of it.  If it has all of the above ingredients.. it's got my name on it.  Seriously, LOVE this kind of food!


Homemade Pupusas
  • 2 cups P.A.N. Cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 cups water (add a couple tablespoons more if it seems too dry)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup Mexican blend of cheese
  • Oil
  • Toppings of your choice (salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, cheese, shredded chicken, etc)
Mix together the P.A.N. Cornmeal, water, and salt in a bowl to make a dough.  Divide the mixture into 6 balls and then flatten each one into a 3 inch disk.  Place 1 tbsp of shredded cheese in the middle of the disk and fold the edges into the middle to close the cheese in.  Flatten the disk, covering the cheese and form 1/4 in. thick disks, about 6 inches across.  Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet.  Add 2-3 pupas at a time and cook each side for 4-5 minutes.  Top them off and serve immediately.

*After they are done cooking in the skillet, I keep them warm in the oven set to the lowest temperature until I'm done cooking all the pupusas.


You can visit P.A.N. at their Tumblr page.  Let me know in the comments if you try this dish at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!