I made this chowder to go along with some pork chops... although, you could certainly have it as a 'main dish' if you'd like (I would have, but it's not a meal to my husband unless there's meat involved). I will make this again. And again. And again. I would not change a thing. It perfectly suited my tastes. I have some in my freezer right now.. and I already can't wait to get it out for lunch tomorrow.
Oh.. and look at how cute my little Korean soup dishes are! They make me happy. Seriously!
Slow Cooker Corn & Potato Chowder
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds Russet potatoes (about 3-4 medium sized potatoes), not peeled, & diced in 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 cups kernel corn (I used frozen)
- 1/2 medium/large sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 cups chicken stock (you can add more as needed.. if you want to thin it out)
- 1 1/2 cups half & half or heavy cream
- Pepper to taste
After cooking time has elapsed, blend about half of the soup with an immersion blender (if you don't have one.. you can just spoon it into a regular blender and then return to the slow cooker). Add half & half/heavy cream and continue cooking, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Pepper to taste. Crumbled any extra bacon on top. Freezes well.