Mexican Lasagna {recipe}

6.22.2012

This should really be called enchilada casserole or something - it tastes like enchiladas, except with added veggies - delicious!  I love myself some good Mexican food.

I made this for my family last night and I think it turned out pretty delicious.  In fact, I'm already thinking about the leftovers for lunch today.  :)  I didn't adjust the recipe very much, but the one thing I did do is add a can of tomato sauce.  I just felt like there wasn't enough sauce.  And with all the tortillas, I didn't want it to be dry. 

I will definitely be adding this to our 'rotation' of meals - I can't wait to make it for my husband!



Mexican Lasagna
adapted from My Kitchen Addiction

Sauce--
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 28 oz crushed tomatoes
  • 8 oz  tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • Salt, to taste
  Filling--
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 1 can of corn
  • 3 cups cooked & shredded chicken
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
 Other-- 
  • 12 (roughly) corn or flour tortillas
  • 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • Sour cream, optional
  • Guacamole, optional 

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.


To prepare the sauce, heat the olive oil and garlic in a sauce pan over medium heat until the garlic becomes golden and fragrant.  Add the crushed tomatoes and spices, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer while you prepare the filling. Season to taste with the Kosher salt before using the sauce in the lasagna.


Meanwhile, prepare the filling by heating the olive oil in a large skillet (or saute pan) over medium heat. Add in the onion, squash, bell pepper, and jalapeño.  Saute the vegetables until tender. Add in the corn and saute for another minute.  In  separate mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken and cilantro.  Add in the sauteed vegetables and season with salt and pepper. 


To assemble the lasagna, spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.  Top with a layer of tortillas.  On top of the tortillas, spread half of the filling. Top the filling with cheese and another layer of sauce. Repeat the layers of tortillas, filling, cheese, and sauce. Finally, top the lasagna with a final layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.


Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbly. Allow the lasagna to rest for at least 10 minutes prior to serving. If desired, serve topped with sour cream and guacamole.


Want to print out the recipe?  Here is the printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!