Project: Command Center Organization, Pt. 1

2.24.2011

As I said in my previous post, my first organization project was going to be to get all of my paper things in order.  It's something I think I should have done a long time ago, but now with baby coming I think it's even more important to get our things in order.

Are you ready for this?  It's pretty bad.  Actually, it's not that bad... because it's been worse.  Sad, but true.  Anyway, our little office space needed some serious lovin'.  Things tend to just get thrown on the desk, and it gets a little worse every day.  And that plastic tote?  Who knows what was in there.. random papers.. pay stubs from 2006............. receipts of clothes purchases from when I was a senior in high school..


The first thing I did was go through the mounds of papers we had built up.  I went through and decided what we needed to file and what we needed to shred.  This Consumer Reports website might help you decide when it's okay to toss your documents.  Then I split the papers up into different categories, so I knew where to place them in my hanging file folders.  At this point I have 10 folders.

Auto/Renters Insurance - Personal Property Insurance - Automobiles - Medical/Dental - Banking - Credit - Manuals - Warrenties - Military/Housing (for my husbands work papers) - Dental Assisting (my resumes, continuing education, etc)

Now when we get mail, or important documents, I either file them or shred them right away.  Speaking of shredding... this is my lovely 'to shred' pile.. (it felt good to get all that junk out of our home!)..


That kept me busy for most of one night.  This is definitely a project I can't complete in one day - I would get too overwhelmed!  But it's a start.  I can't wait to show you what my desk space looks like after I'm done.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!