from Tracey's Culinary Adventures
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cake flour (tip: if you only have all-purpose flour on hand, you can substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for 1 cup cake flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla (tip: if you don't have buttermilk, mix 1/2 cup regular milk with 1 1/2 tablespoons of white vinegar and let it sit for about 10 minutes)
- 1 1/4 cups canned solid-packed pumpkin
Beat butter and both sugars with a mixer on medium until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt into a separate medium bowl.
One at a time, add the eggs to the butter/sugar bowl and mix. Alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour. Lastly, add the pumpkin and beat until smooth.
Fill cupcake liners until about 3/4 full. Bake cupcakes about 25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
from Martha Stewart
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temp.
- 4 cups (1 lb.), confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Refrigerate until needed (can be made up to 3 days in advance). When ready to use, bring to room temperature and beat until smooth. Makes about 4 cups.