Soap Squares

5.12.2010

I made these and gave them to my mom and my mother-in-law for mother's day this year. They are so fun and easy to make - there are a ton of different variations you could use when making homemade soap, too. I got this idea from the Martha Stewart website.

For mine I used:


  • Blocks of glycerin soap
  • Petroleum jelly/Vaseline
  • Cotton Swabs
  • Liquid dye
  • Essential Oils (I used Cucumber Melon.. mmm!)
  • Aloe Vera Oils
  • Ice cube tray (or whatever mold you choose to use)
  • Microwaveable bowl & a spoon (to stir!)
I found most everything I need at Hobby Lobby (glycerin, oils, dye). They had a small section of things especially for homemade soaps - they had really cute molds, as well!

First, used a cotton swab to coat the inside of your mold with petroleum jelly, that way the soap will pop right out after it's done cooling. Put your blocks of glycerin into the microwaveable bowl. Use however much you think you need.. I didn't use any exact measurements. Heat for no more than 30 seconds on high. Stir and then continue to heat in short intervals - 10 to 15 seconds - until the glycerin is thoroughly melted.

After the glycerin is melted, add oils and dye (sparingly.. a little goes a long way!). I used just a few drops of each. Use your imagination to add your favorite ingredients and additives! Stir to mix all ingredients together and then pour into your mold. My soap squares cooled in about 2 hours.

There are many different additives you can use, too. Adding a little castor oil and sugar will help your soap to lather up better, beeswax will help your soap to last longer, oatmeal can nourish the skin and serve as an exfoliating agent, etc, etc. Experiment and have fun with it!

What I loved about making the soaps into little cubes was being able to package it in this cute jar I found. You can make your own tag and attach it with a pretty ribbon or string of your choice! It makes a cute little gift for many occasions.. in my case, it was for mother's day. :)

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!