Homemade Arepas {recipe}

8.17.2015

I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. #PANFan

By now it's no secret that I love creating delicious recipes with P.A.N. Cornmeal.  So far I've made some delicious Pupusas and Breakfast Bites.  Today I have a another yummy recipe for you - Arepas!  

Arepas are a sort of flatbread, popular in Colombia and Venezuela.  You can take your favorite sandwich, and swap out the plain ol' bread for these arepas.. and you'll have a fun twist on a Venezuelan classic!  It can be stuffed with many different things.. meat, eggs, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, seafood.  You can do whatever you want to make it your own dish.

My picky eater likes to eat it with cheese.. kind of like a grilled cheese.  ;)

There's so much versatility when it comes to using P.A.N. Cornmeal.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner.. it can be used for virtually any meal.  It's quick and easy, which may be one of my favorite things about it!  Ha!



We filled ours with my husband favorite.. just a classic sandwich.. cajun turkey, cheese, and onion.. super YUM!  But you can fill with about whatever your heart desires!  That's the awesome thing, it's very versatile!

Homemade Arepas

2 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
2 cup P.A.N. Cornmeal
Oil for frying

  • Stir water and salt together in a large bowl until salt dissolves.  Add cornmeal gradually and work the mixture together until it forms a soft dough.  Divide the dough into 10 balls and pat each one into a disk shape.
  • Heat oil in a skillet and cook the arepas 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden.  Slice the arepas to form sort of a pita pocket and fill with whatever you desire.  Serve warm.
Check P.A.N. out at their Tumblr Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!