Fluffy Chocolate Chip Biscuits {recipe}

2.16.2015

I'm officially 37 weeks.. 1 week and 2 days away from when Clara was born.  Things are really getting hard.  I can't sleep at night.. if I'm not waking up from heartburn then I'm waking up because I have to pee.. and if it's not because of either of those then it's because I can't get comfortable or I just simply can't sleep.  So Sunday morning I was up way earlier than I like to be on a weekend - 6am - and decided to put my time to good use.  I know very soon that my ambition to cook or try anything new will disappear for a while, so I decided to try a new recipe and make my darlings a nice breakfast before church.

Chocolate Chip Biscuits | hwescott.blogspot.com

These biscuits are obviously more of a 'sweet treat' for breakfast.. so I also made some scrambled eggs and we had some fruit with it.. but you could easily switch up the recipe.  I think next time I will mix in some blueberries and then they would be just fabulous drizzled with honey!  They are super light and fluffy - not dense at all.  Clara loved them, as you can see from the photo below.. ;)

Chocolate Chip Biscuits

Fluffy Chocolate Chip Biscuits
recipe via Southern Plate
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup milk (preferably whole or buttermilk)
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into slices
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp whole milk

Put sliced butter, flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and cut butter in to flour with a pastry cutter or fork until incorporated (but it will still be lumpy).  Place bowl in fridge for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, take bowl from fridge and stir in sugar and chocolate chips until well mixed.  Add milk and stir until just moistened.  If you need to add more milk, add up to 1/8 cup to make sure everything is moist.. but do not overstir.  

Turn dough out onto a floured surface.  I prefer to place a piece of parchment or wax paper on my counter and flour that - it makes for easier clean up!  Flour hands and then pat the dough into a rectangle.  Gently fold right side to middle of rectangle and do the same with the left side.  Pat out into a rectangle and repeat the process one more time.  Pat out into a rectangle.

Take a biscuit cutter or a glass and dip into flour then cut out your biscuits.  Place biscuits in a lightly greased cake or pie pan with their sides touching.  I used two pie pans.  Bake at 450 degrees for 13-15 minutes, or until lightly golden.  

Make the glaze-  Stir together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth.  Brush over tops of biscuits.  Let set a couple minutes before serving.  ENJOY!  :)  Makes roughly a dozen biscuits.. maybe a few more.

1 comment:

  1. I made these today. Absolutely delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!