Red Velvet Cookies (the easy way)!

12.08.2010

Because sometimes it's okay to do things the easy way!  Especially when you're pregnant, exhausted, and grumpy... but still want to bake something.  ;o)  And when my cousin showed me this recipe, I had to make them because I love red velvet.  And I just couldn't get these cookies out of my head.  Then when I made a quick trip to the store to grab a few things, I passed some summer sausage and sweet & hot mustard.  After seeing that, that's all I wanted and could have cared less about the cookies.  Pregnancy brain = easily distracted.  But I knew I would regret it if I didn't make these cookies.. so, here they are.


Red Velvet Cookies
recipe from here
  • 1 pouch of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened 
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring
  • 1 egg
  • Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting (or you can make your own.. even better.  I'm lazy.  I did not.)
  • Your topping of choice (chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a large bowl, stir cookie mix, cocoa, butter, sour cream, food coloring, and egg until soft dough forms.  It is a very sticky dough, and I ended up using my hands to mix it.  It will get messy... and you may or may not get your hands tinted red.  If you want to use gloved to protect your hands, you can.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  The dough does not spread, so I actually formed my cookies into the shape that I wanted them... flattened them out a bit.


The recipe says to bake 8-9 minutes, but I baked mine for 6 minutes and they were perfect.  Let them cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to let them cool completely before frosting.  After frosted, store tightly covered at room temperature.


Before baking... I pressed them into the shape I wanted them.
Cooling!
I made some with green frosting, too.. but my husband inhaled them before I could take a picture!
MMM... the husband approved!


I think they turned out well and were very delicious.  I had about 3 of them and then I let my husband take the rest to work so  the guys could have at'em.. and they ate them all!  So happy they liked them.  :)


Now.. what to make next?  Hmm.. guess you'll just have to wait and see.  :o)  Love Christmas baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!