Frosted Pumpkin Cookies {recipe}

10.10.2011

I am seriously loving this time of year.  Boots, leaves changing color, baking... I seriously need to find more mouths to feed because my list of things I want to bake it a mile long and growing.. but the mouths I have to feed are few!  (Though, I usually send Coleman to work with goodies for the guys.)  

But ah, pumpkin cookies... While Clara and I were visiting family in the states in September, my Aunt brought these when she came to visit.  I probably could have ate the whole batch by myself, but I figured that would've been a little rude.  These cookies are moist and delicious.. and my favorite part is the frosting.  I love the fact that the frosting is not cream cheese frosting.. yet it compliments the cookie very well.
 
If you like pumpkin, I highly suggest you try this cookie.  This recipe is too good to not share.  It's very easy to make and it's absolutely delicious (my favorite pumpkin cookie, BY FAR, so thanks to my Aunt for a great recipe!).


Frosted Pumpkin Cookies
recipe from my Aunt :)

Cookies
  • 2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 cup shortening (or butter)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat to 350 F.

Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.  Set aside.  In another large bowl, combine shortening (or butter) and brown sugar and beat until fluffy, using an electric mixer.  Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla and mix until well combined.  Add half of the dry ingredients, mix, then add the other half and mix again, being careful not to overmix.

Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake 11-14 minutes, or until lightly browned at edges.  Halfway through baking, rotate baking sheets top to bottom & front to back. When done, cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

Frosting (NOTE: half of this recipe would be enough for 1 batch of cookies)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 4 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar

    Combine butter and maple syrup using an electric mixer and mix until smooth.  Add pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.  Spread icing on cooled cookies.

    STORAGE:  Refrigerate cookies in airtight container. Bring to room temperature for full flavor (I'm impatient and can never wait that long.. they still taste good!)

    7 comments:

    1. Will have to try this- I love pumpkin anything!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just made these and they are so amazing! my entire family loves them!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Glad you're enjoying them, Samantha! This is our favorite pumpkin cookie! :)

      xo,

      Haley

      ReplyDelete
    4. Replies
      1. Just place them in a freezer safe tupperware, and put wax paper in between the layers so they don't stick together. :)

        Delete
      2. Thanks! They were great...but I'd like to take the extras to grandparents day at school! Appreciate it!

        Delete

    I'd love to hear from you!